What is the manage_options permission in WordPress? #
The manage_options permission allows you to access all of the links under “Settings” in the WordPress admin. The manage_options permission gives you access to these seven links:
- Settings > General
- Settings > Writing
- Settings > Reading
- Settings > Discussion
- Settings > Permalinks
- Settings > Miscellaneous
- Settings > Privacy
The manage_options permission gives you access to these two links under “Tools” in the WordPress admin area:
- Tools > Export Personal Data
- Tools > Erase Personal Data
Finally, manage_options is also used by some plugins to grant access the admin areas of those plugins.
Who has the manage_options permission? #
The manage_options permission is available on single WordPress sites and on multisite networks.
By default, the manage_options permission is only given to Super Users and Administrators.
Users not in these roles are not allowed to access the Settings and Tools links.
How to control who has the manage_options permission #
You can control who has the delete_others_posts permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- Install the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- Go to “Capabilities” in your WordPress admin menu.
- Using the dropdown in the top-left corner, choose the role you want to edit.
- Click the “Admin” tab.
- Check or uncheck the “manage options” box.