What is the manage_sites permission in WordPress?
The manage_sites permission allows users to manage sites on a WordPress multisite network.
- My Sites > Network Admin > Sites.
- The user can now see the “Sites” menu.
On the “Sites” screens, the user can manage any sites network using these links: Edit, Dashboard, Deactivate, Archive, Spam, Delete, Visit.
Who has the manage_sites permission?
The manage_sites permission is available only on multisite networks.
By default, the manage_sites permission is only given to Super Admins.
Users not in the Super Admin role are not allowed to manage sites on a multisite network.
Control who has the manage_sites permission
You can control who has the manage_sites permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- After installing PublishPress Capabilities, go to “Capabilities” in your admin menu.
- Choose the role you want to edit in “Select Role to View / Edit”.
- Enter “manage_sites” into the “Add Capability” box.
- Click “Add to role”.
- Check or uncheck the “manage sites” box in the “Additional Capabilities” area.