What is the manage_sites permission in WordPress? #
The manage_sites permission allows users to manage sites on a WordPress multisite network.
The manage_network_themes permission can't be used without the manage_network permission. If a user has both capabilities, they will be able to go to this link:
- My Sites > Network Admin > Sites.
- The user can now see the “Sites” menu.
On the “Sites” screens, the user can manage any sites network using these links: Edit, Dashboard, Deactivate, Archive, Spam, Delete, Visit.
Who has the manage_sites permission? #
The manage_sites permission is available only on multisite networks.
By default, the manage_sites permission is only given to Super Admins.
Users not in the Super Admin role are not allowed to manage sites on a multisite network.
Control who has the manage_sites permission #
You can control who has the manage_sites permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- After installing PublishPress Capabilities, go to “Capabilities” in your admin menu.
- Using the dropdown in the top-left corner, choose the role you want to edit.
- Enter “manage_sites” into the “Add Capability” box.
- Click “Add to role”.
- Check or uncheck the “manage sites” box in the “Additional Capabilities” area.