What is the manage_network_options permission in WordPress?
The manage_network_options permission allows users to change key settings for a WordPress multisite network.
- My Sites > Network Admin > Sites.
- The user can now see the “Settings” menu with sub-menus for “Network Settings” and “Network Setup”.
On these screens, the user can change the settings for the multisite network. This screenshot shows the “Network Settings” screen:
This screenshot shows the “Network Setup” screen:
Who has the manage_network_options permission?
The manage_network_options permission is available only on multisite networks.
By default, the manage_network_options permission is only given to Super Admins.
Users not in the Super Admin role are not allowed to change key settings for a WordPress multisite network.
Control who has the manage_network_options permission
You can control who has the manage_network_options permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- After installing PublishPress Capabilities, go to “Capabilities” in your admin menu.
- Using the dropdown in the top-left corner, choose the role you want to edit.
- Enter “manage_network_options” into the “Add Capability” box.
- Click “Add to role”.
- Check or uncheck the “manage network options” box in the “Additional Capabilities” area.