Hide a WordPress User Role
With the PublishPress Capabilities plugin, it is possible to hide a WordPress user role.
Let's show you how this feature works:
How to hide a WordPress user role
- Install the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- Install the PublishPress Permissions plugin.
- Go to “Capabilities” in your WordPress admin menu.
- For each WordPress role, you will be able to select the “hidden role” box:
When you create a new role, you also have the option to mark the role as “hidden”:
What happens to hidden roles?
If a role is marked as “hidden” it will not appear in any WordPress role selection options:
- Add User
- Edit User
- Change role to
The role will still be available in some areas of WordPress:
- It can be used a supplemental role in PublishPress Permissions.
- It can be used by plugins and themes. They can use the machine name of the role. The role will remain in the option name