Allow WooCommerce Users to Edit Only One Product
One PublishPress user asked us if they could allow WordPress users to edit only one WooCommerce product.
Yes, this is possible thanks to two PublishPress plugins.
In this tutorial, I'll show you how to create a very low-level user who has few permissions beyond editing one product. You can give the user more permissions if that's what your situation requires.
Text and screenshot guide
Install these two plugins:
Now we're going to create a new user role called “Single Product Editor” and give them access to a WooCommerce product.
- Go to the “Capabilities” link in your WordPress admin menu.
- Choose “Subscriber” in the “Select Role to View / Edit” box. We're going to copy the Subscriber role because it has very limited permissions.
We're now going to add a new permission to give Single Product Editors access to the WordPress admin area. Click here for more info on admin area access with WooCommerce.
- Find the “Add Capability” box.
- Enter “view_admin_dashboard”.
- Click “Add to role”.
- Select the “view admin dashboard” box.
Now you can create your user account for editing a WooCommerce product:
- Go to “Users” in your WordPress admin menu.
- Create a new user in the “Single Product Editor” role.
- Go to “Products” in your WordPress admin menu.
- Edit the Product you want to give the user access to.
- Check the “enable custom permissions for Products” box.
- Click “Update”.
- Scroll down the “Permissions: Edit this Product” box.
- Click the “Users” tab.
- Click “Select users”.
- You can now choose your new user.
- On the right side of the screen, you can set their permissions to “Enabled”. In this image, I'm giving “john” access to this product.
Now it's time to test your new user. This is easier to do with the User Switching plugin installed.
When you login as your new user, this image shows what you will see. The user will have very limited access, but they will be able to edit a single WooCommerce product.