It is possible to create a personal page for users on your WordPress site.
One common use for personal pages is when a company or school wants to give staff members their own page to maintain.
There is also process for creating these personal pages automatically. We recommend that for sites with many users, or sites that regularly add new users.
If you only need a few personal pages, the solution in this guide is simpler to set up and maintain.
Manually creating personal pages #
Start by creating the user accounts on your site.
I recommend adding these accounts in the “Subscriber” user role. This the safest role in WordPress with the minimum level of permissions.
- Go to “Pages” in your WordPress admin menu. You can use another post type if you want.
- Click “Add New”.
- Give the page a title. In this example, I named the page after the staff member. This makes it very easy to see who can edit this page.
- Scroll down and look for the box labelled, “Permissions: Edit this Page”.
- Click the “Users” tab.
- Click “Select Users”.
- In the “Find Users” box, search for your user.
- Click “Search”.
- Your user will appear in the “Search Results” area.
- Click the “Select” button.
- You can now set this user's editing permissions to “Enabled”.
- Click “Save” for this Page.
I would recommend that you test the new account with access to this Page. This is easier to do with the User Switching plugin installed.
When the user logs in to WordPress, this image shows what they should see. They will have access to their page, but no other content or areas of WordPress.