What is the manage_network_themes permission in WordPress?
The manage_network_themes permission allows users to activate or deactivate themes on a WordPress multisite network.
The manage_network_themes permission can't be used without the manage_network permission. If a user has both capabilities, they will be able to go to this link:
- My Sites > Network Admin > Sites.
- The user can now see the “Themes” menu.
On the “Plugins” screens, the user can activate or deactivate any themes on the network using the “Network Enable” or “Network Disable” links.
Who has the manage_network_themes permission?
The manage_network_themes permission is available only on multisite networks.
By default, the manage_network_themes permission is only given to Super Admins.
Users not in the Super Admin role are not allowed to manage themes on a multisite network.
Control who has the manage_network_themes permission
You can control who has the manage_network_themes permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- After installing PublishPress Capabilities, go to “Capabilities” in your admin menu.
- Choose the role you want to edit in “Select Role to View / Edit”.
- Enter “manage_network_themes” into the “Add Capability” box.
- Click “Add to role”.
- Check or uncheck the “manage network themes” box in the “Additional Capabilities” area.