Delete WordPress User Roles
By default, WordPress arrives with five default user roles: Contributor, Subscriber, Author, Editor, and Administrator. However, when you start installing plugins, you may see many extra roles. For example, if you install Yoast SEO, there will be two new roles: “SEO Editor” and “SEO Manager”.
If you install WooCommerce, you'll see two more roles: “Shop manager” and “Customer”.
What happens if you do want all these extra roles? Is it possible to delete these extra roles?
Yes, you can safely delete WordPress user roles with the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
Video guide to deleting WordPress roles
Here's how to delete a WordPress user role
- Install the PublishPress Capabilities plugin to your site.
- Go to “Capabilities” in the WordPress admin menu.
- In the top-left corner of this screen, choose the role you want to delete. In the image below, I want to delete the “SEO Editor” role.
- Scroll to the bottom the screen and click “Delete role”.
- You'll see a pop-up box. Click “OK” to delete the role:
- You'll see a message saying that the deletion was successful. Any users in the “SEO Editor” role will be moved to the “Subscriber” role.