Table of Contents
What is the delete_users permission in WordPress? #
The delete_users permission allows you to delete other user accounts in WordPress.
However, the delete_users permission can not be used by itself. Before you can delete users, you also need the list_users permission. With both of those permissions, you can go to the Users > All Users screen and use the “Delete” button.
However, there is a heirarchy of users in WordPress. Even with the delete_users permission you can not delete users with more permissions that you. This is the WordPress heirarchy:
- Subscriber (lowest level)
- Administrator (highest level)
Who has the delete_users permission? #
By default, the delete_users permission is only given to Super Admins and Administrators.
Users not in these roles are not allowed to delete users.
How can you control who has the delete_users permission? #
You can control who has the delete_users permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- After installing PublishPress Capabilities, go to “Capabilities” in your WordPress admin menu.
- Using the dropdown in the top-left corner, choose the role you want to edit.
- Click the “Users” tab.
- Check or uncheck the “delete users” box.