Restrict WordPress Users to Posting in One Category
With the PublishPress Permissions Pro plugin, you can stop users from posting in certain categories.
Text and screenshot guide
- Go to “Users” in your WordPress admin area and create an account in the Author user role:
- Go to “Posts” and “Categories” and choose the category you want to use:
- Go to Permissions > Groups.
- Click to edit the “WP Author” role.
This next step is going to be the key step. We're going to use PublishPress Permissions to create an “Exception” so that Authors can only assign the “Author Category” to their Posts.
- Click “Add Exceptions”.
- Post Type: choose “Post”.
- Post Operation: choose “Assign Term”.
- Adjustment: choose “Only these”.
- Qualification: choose “Categories”.
- Select Categories: choose your category, which in this example is “Author Category”.
- Click the “Add Exceptions” button.
PublishPress Permissions will now show you the details so you can double-check them. Click “Save Exceptions” if it looks like the image below.
That's all there is to it. You're ready to go! Log into your WordPress site as an Author, and when you create a Post, only one Category will be available:
If this guide was helpful, you might be interested in the opposite process: how to prevent WordPress users from posting in category.