What is the upgrade_network permission in WordPress?
The upgrade_network permission allows users to upgrade the core WordPress files on a WordPress multisite network.
The upgrade_network permission can't be used without the manage_network permission. If a user has both capabilities, they will be able to go to this link:
- My Sites > Network Admin > Sites.
- The user can now see the “Upgrade Network” menu.
On the “Sites” screens, the user can click “Upgrade Network” and run any available update of the core WordPress files.
Who has the upgrade_network permission?
The upgrade_network permission is available only on multisite networks.
By default, the upgrade_network permission is only given to Super Admins.
Users not in the Super Admin role are not allowed to run core updates on a multisite network.
Control who has the upgrade_network permission
You can control who has the upgrade_network permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- After installing PublishPress Capabilities, go to “Capabilities” in your admin menu.
- Choose the role you want to edit in “Select Role to View / Edit”.
- Enter “upgrade_network” into the “Add Capability” box.
- Click “Add to role”.
- Check or uncheck the “upgrade network” box in the “Additional Capabilities” area.