What is the manage_network permission in WordPress?
The manage_network permission allows users to access the main dashboard of a WordPress multisite network.
The manage_network permission is not very useful by itself. This screenshot below shows what a user will see if they only have the manage_network permission. We recommend that a user all has the capabilities such as manage_sites, create_sites or manage_network_plugins.
If a user does have the manage_network capability, they will be able to go to this link:
- My Sites > Network Admin > Sites.
Who has the manage_network permission?
The manage_network permission is available only on multisite networks.
By default, the manage_network permission is only given to Super Admins.
Users not in the Super Admin role are not allowed to access the network dashboard.
Control who has the manage_network
You can control who has the manage_network permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- After installing PublishPress Capabilities, go to “Capabilities” in your admin menu.
- Using the dropdown in the top-left corner, choose the role you want to edit.
- Enter “manage_network” into the “Add Capability” box.
- Click “Add to role”.
- Check or uncheck the “manage network” box in the “Additional Capabilities” area.