What is the update_themes permission in WordPress?
The update_themes permission allows users to update themes to a new version.
If you have the update_themes permission, you will see this “Updates” link in the WordPress admin area:
- On this screen, you will see any themes that have a more recent version.
- Check the box and click the “Update Themes” button. You will update this theme.
If you also have the edit_theme_options permission, you will be able to go to “Appearance” and then “Themes” in the WordPress admin menu. On this screen, you can also view and apply theme updates.
Who has the update_themes permission?
The update_themes permission is available on single WordPress sites and on multisite networks.
By default, the update_themes permission is only given to Super Admins and Administrators.
Users not in these roles are not allowed to update the site's theme files.
How to control who has the update_themes permission
You can control who has the update_themes permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- After installing PublishPress Capabilities, go to “Capabilities” in your WordPress admin menu.
- Using the dropdown in the top-left corner, choose the role you want to edit.
- Check the box “update themes”.
- Click “Save Changes”.