What is the manage_woocommerce permission in WooCommerce? #
manage_woocommerce is one of the the most important capabilities for WooCommerce users. A user with the manage_woocommerce permission will be able to access three menu links:
- WooCommerce > Settings
- WooCommerce > Status
- WooCommerce > Extensions
By far the most important of these links is “Settings”. Someone with the manage_woocommerce capability will be able to change any and all settings in your WooCommerce store.
They are two key things to note about the access given by manage_woocommerce:
- Users will also be able to access the “Products” > “Reviews” link but they will not be able to edit reviews.
- Users will be able see the “Marketing” link, but they will not be able to access the marketing screens.
Who has the manage_woocommerce permission? #
The manage_woocommerce permission is available on single WordPress sites and on multisite networks.
By default, manage_woocommerce is only available to users in Administrator roles.
Users not in these roles are not allowed to view WooCommerce settings screens.
How to control who has the manage_woocommerce permission #
You can control who has the manage_woocommerce permission by installing the PublishPress Capabilities plugin.
- After installing PublishPress Capabilities, go to “Capabilities” in your WordPress admin menu.
- Using the dropdown in the top-left corner, choose the role you want to edit.
- Click the “WooCommerce” area.
- Check the box “manage woocommerce”.
- Click “Save Changes”.