bbPress and PublishPress Permissions Pro
bbPress is the most popular forum software for WordPress. With PublishPress Permissions Pro, you can managee access and to important bbPress features.
You can add permissions for specific bbPress forums.
Permissions for bbPress Forums
Here's the quickest way to start adding permissions for specific bbPress forums:
- Go to “Forums” in the WordPress admin menu.
- Click “enable custom permissions for Forums”.
- Click “Update”:
You will now see several boxes under the forum. The boxes control different permissions for this forum:
- Reading: who can view posts in this forum.
- Topic creation: who can create posts in this forum.
- Reply submission: who can reply to posts in this forum.
- Editing: who can edit / moderate posts in this forum.
- Association (as Parent): who can move this forum to a different place in the forum hierarchy.
Inside each box you will be able to set custom permissions for this forum. For example, under “Topic Creation Exceptions”, you can choose which Roles, User or Groups can create topics inside this forum:
Adding bbPress Roles to Users
It is also possible to give bbPress roles to specific users or groups.
This means you could choose to make a single user into a bbPress Moderator without promoting everyone else who is in the same role.
- Go to “Users”. in the WordPress admin menu.
- Click to edit the user you want to modify.
- Scroll down to the blue “Custom User Permissions” box. Click “customize this user directly”.
- Choose “Forum” from the “Post Type” dropdown.
- Choose “Participant” or “Moderator”.
- Click “Add Role” then “Save” Roles”.
This particular user will now have this supplemental role in addition to their normal WordPress role.