Tim Frick on Building Better WordPress Businesses With B Corps
When I asked around in the WordPress community about environmental issues, everyone had the same response: “You should talk with Tim Frick.”
Tim is based in Chicago and runs the Mightybytes agency. He is passionate about helping organizations create a more positive impact on the world. We recently posted a collection of environmental talks and Tim got a lot of shout-outs.
In this interview, I chat with Tim about Benefit Corporations (B Corps). Tim explains how his desire to create a positive influence has led him to use WordPress and support environmental issues.
What are B Corps?
They are businesses that balance purpose and profit.
- A Benefit Corporation is a legal entity, like an S-Corp or a C-Corp. In the US, 37 states have passed Benefit Corp legislation, as have several other countries.
- A Certified B Corp, on the other hand, undergoes a rigorous certification every three years to ensure they adhere to the highest verified standards in social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. There are over 3,500 Certified B Corps worldwide, over 50% of which exist outside the United States.
This page briefly and concisely explains the difference between the two
In our interview, Tim tells us that B Corps help us put values where they should be: right at the very heart of our businesses.
If you want to do one thing to improve your impact on the world, Tim recommends you use this B Corps assessment tool.
Video interview with Tim
Here's a timeline of the interview:
- Start: Introducing Tim and Mightybytes.
- 2 mins: Using BImpactAssessment.net
- 4 mins: Tim's interest in environmental work and his book, “Designing for Sustainability“.
- 6 mins: How B Corps helped Tim see the bigger picture.
- 8 mins: How Tim's values affect his agency.
- 10 mins: What WordPress agencies can do right now to start living their values including OnePercentForThePlanet.org.
- 12 mins: Steps we can take towards greener web design.
- 14 mins: SustainableWebDesign.org and Ecograder.com.
- 16 mins: The practical features of B Corps.
More WordPress Interviews
- Johannes Benz on hosting that’s good for the Environment and Society.
- Phil Sturgeon on being a developer and planting 1000's of trees.
- Tim Frick on building better WordPress businesses with B Corps.
- Tom Greenwood on sustainable WordPress sites and businesses.
- Zack Katz on values-drive WordPress businesses.
- Hannah Smith on the environmental impact of WordPress.
- Steve Beatty on the Newspack project.
- The Tag1 Consulting team on YJS and collaborative editing in Gutenberg.