How to Restore the Default User Permissions on a WordPress site
In some situations, you may need to completely refresh your WordPress site.
If you need to reset your WordPress user permissions, this is possible with a plugin called PublishPress Capabilities. This plugin has an option to delete all the current permissions and user roles, and restore the WordPress defaults.
Here's the process to follow if you want to restore the default WordPress permissions.
- Install PublishPress Capabilities.
- In your WordPress admin menu, go to Capabilities > Backup.
- Click the tab “Reset Roles”.
- Look for the button “Reset to WordPress defaults”.
Before you take this step, make sure to read the warning:
“WARNING: This will delete and/or modify stored role definitions. If you have installed any plugin that adds new roles or capabilities, these will be lost. It is recommended to use this only as a last resort!”
- If you want to proceed, click the “Reset to WordPress defaults” button.
- PublishPress Capabilities will ask if you’re really sure you want to do this. Click “OK” to continue.
- Once the process is complete, you’ll see the message, “Roles and Capabilities reset to WordPress defaults”.
More PublishPress Capabilities Guides
Here are more cool things you do with the PublishPress Capabilities plugin:
- Hide other author posts in the WordPress admin area
- How to export and import WordPress user permissions
- Block WordPress users from creating higher-level users
- How to delete WordPress user roles
- Control who can delete media files in WordPress
- Stop WordPress users from editing their published posts
Get Full Access to PublishPress
Join PublishPress today and you'll get powerful publishing and permissions plugins to improve your WordPress site.