WordPress has a useful block called “Gallery” which allows you show to multiple images together.
With the PublishPress Blocks plugin, you can improve the gallery block and show WordPress images inside a lightbox modal. This feature is not available in the normal WordPress image block.
Enabling and Disabling Lightboxes for Galleries
- Open galleries in lightbox: This will automatically add a lightbox display to images in the “Gallery” block.
- Image caption: This feature will automatically take the ALT text for an image and show it as captions for images in lightboxes.
How to Use the Lightbox
Here's a video guide to help you use the lightbox feature:
We also have a text and image guide to help you use the lightboxes.
- Open up a WordPress post.
- Add a “Gallery” block to your content:
- Add images to your gallery.
- In this screenshot below, I've added 3 images. The “Write gallery caption” option is added by PublishPress Blocks.
- Publish your post with the image gallery.
- Even though a “lightbox” setting wasn't visible, you will be able to click on any image in the gallery and see it in a lightbox. There will be arrows on each side of the gallery so you can navigate to the next image.
PublishPress Blocks also makes this lightbox effect available for local videos.