How to Use Different Statuses for Different WordPress Post Types
One PublishPress user asked us if it was possible to have different statuses for different WordPress post types.
This user wanted to have a customized workflow for each post type. For example, this is a possible approach they could use:
- Posts can move between these statuses: Draft, Pitch, Assigned, Approved, Published.
- Pages can move between these statuses: Pitch, In Progress, Published.
Yes, this is possible in WordPress. This guide will show to create different statuses per post type.
To get started, install these two plugins: PublishPress and PublishPress Permissions Pro. You will need the Pro version of Permissions as that has advanced features for statuses.
- In your WordPress admin menu, Go to “Permissions”, then “Post Statuses”.
- Click the “Edit” link under any status. In the image below, I'm going to customize the “In Progress” status.
- You can scroll down and uncheck “All Types” in “Post Types” area.
- Now you can select specific post types for this status. In the image below, the “In Progress” status will only be available on Pages.
- Your “In Progress” status will now be available in the “Post Status” dropdown when you create new pages:
Here are some examples of workflows you can now create for specific post types:
- A WordPress Editorial Workflow for Writing, Reviewing and Publishing
- A WordPress Workflow for Editing and Reviewing
- Create a Workflow for University Departments in WordPress with PublishPress
- Create a Multi-Step Workflow in WordPress
- How to Create a Publishing Workflow for Authors in WordPress
- How to Get 2 People to Approve Content in WordPress