The Gutenberg block editor makes it easy to add and edit content in WordPress.
However, sometimes you want to do just the opposite! Sometimes your content should not be updated.
It is now possible to lock blocks so that they can not be edited. This feature was introduced in WordPress 6.0.
With the PublishPress Capabilities plugin, you can also prevent users from adding new blocks inside the Gutenberg editor. This is very useful for preventing users from updating and adding to your content. To prevent users from adding blocks, we're going to have to remove two icons. I've highlighted both of the icons in this image below:
- Go to the “Editor Features” screen in PublishPress Capabilities.
- In the top-left corner, choose the user role you want to edit.
- Check the “Add block” option. This will remove the add new block icon in the toolbar.
- Click the “Add new block” option lower down the screen.
- Click “Save Post Restrictions”.
Get more control over Gutenberg with PublishPress Capabilities
The PublishPress Capabilities plugin gives you wide variety of options for controlling the Gutenberg editor.
Also in the PublishPress suite of plugins, you can use PublishPress Blocks to hide specific blocks from users. What is more, you can also prevent users from having access to some blocks, or even stop them adding any new blocks.